Tuesday, October 3, 2023
HomeUncategorizedTop 10 Spouse Visa Extension FAQs

Top 10 Spouse Visa Extension FAQs


Spouse Visa Extension takes place when you need to continue your stay in the UK as a spouse or a partner of an already present and settled person, who is a British citizen, or someone who holds limited leave.

The UK Appendix EU as a Turkish ECAA worker or business person, or has refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK gives you the opportunity to extend the visa for a further 30 months. 

After this period, you may be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).

What are the requirements for spouse visa extension?

To extend your spouse visa, you must fulfill the following conditions

  • You had secured  initial leave under spouse or civil partner category
  • You have long term intention to live with your spouse
  • You have accommodation in the UK
  • Your spouse meets the financial requirements of at least £18,600 per year, which is subject to increase if you have children
  • You have passed English language proficiency requirements test.

All these requirements must be furnished as documentation while you make your spouse visa extension application

How can I apply for a spouse visa extension?

While making a spouse visa application for an extension, one must ensure the following

  • Make an online application using form FLR (M)
  • pay the required fee
  • ensure the payment has been made for the Immigration Health Surcharge, if applicable.
  • A valid passport
  •  National identity card for yourself and any dependents who are applying
  • All declarations to be duly signed by you and your spouse
  • book and attend appointment for biometrics

    What documents do I need?

A list of documents that you need to submit for your spouse visa extension application

  • Valid and current passport 
  • Any travel document to signify your stay
  • Marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • Previous history of any criminal convictions
  • Evidence of cohabitation, that is, any documented proof that you and your spouse have been living together continuously in the UK
  • Spouse’s National Insurance number
  • Proof of your accommodation in the UK
  • Bank statements and details of salary to prove you meet financial requirements
  • Details of any children accompanying you.
  • Benefits of extending your spouse visa?

Living in the UK opens abundant opportunities for anyone, and especially when you are applying for a spouse visa extension, you will be eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain and in due course can apply for British citizenship.

What if my application is refused?

There may be numerous reasons for your application to get rejected or refused. However, in such circumstances, if you can apply for a spouse visa refusal appeal with the help of immigration lawyers, who are experts in legal matters.

  • Who can provide the best legal advice for my spouse visa application for extension?

A Y & J Solicitors have a proven track record of successful spouse visa applications. They have the best immigration lawyers in London.

understand the sensitive nature of the visa application and represent and handhold you compassionately, towards a smooth visa application approval process.

  • Do I need to be in continuous residency for a spouse visa extension application?

There are no mandatory requirements of how many years you have lived continuously in the UK. However, you must show ‘ long term intention to live in the UK’.

If you spend more time outside the UK, then it weakens your application, since your intention to secure a visa extension is unsupported.

  • What documents can I produce to show I have been living with my spouse?

You can provide evidence of joint bank account statements, tenancy agreements, any mortgage documents, where both names are mentioned.

  • What is the processing time for an application?

Generally, it takes about 8 weeks for your application to get processed. But it may get delayed owing to COVID-19. If the Home Office asks you to furnish additional documents, then it may get delayed further.

  1.  What if I want to travel during the application processing  time for spouse visa extension?

It is strongly recommended that you must travel outside the country, except the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of man, and the Channel Islands. If you do so, your application will be rejected and it may disqualify you to re-enter the UK borders.

Click Here



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments